Principal Software Developer
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Full Time
- Mid Level
Principal Software Developer
Since Ron Glozman founded Chisel AI in 2016 (see his full story here) we’ve evolved to be the machine learning leader in the insurance industry. Our software reads insurance forms and extracts key policy data hundreds of times faster than a human. Our advanced AI platform and intelligent workflows automate high volume, repetitive manual underwriting and brokering processes, enabling insurance carriers and brokers to double their business, reduce operating costs, and deliver a better digital customer experience without adding staff. Our customers include some of the world’s largest commercial lines insurance carriers and brokers.
As part of our growing Engineering team, you will be a fundamental part of building our core AI capabilities in an innovative greenfield environment where you are not saddled with a legacy of product debt. As our new Principal Software Developer, you will use your many years of end-to-end product software development experience to tackle challenges that include building engineering pipelines that help our machine learning scientists build better models. You will be the key collaborator to the CTO and help him set the technical foundations for the service.
You will use modern web service, application logic and UX development that enable those models to deliver large-scale value to our customers. You will own processes, make decisions, support your colleagues and develop your career in ways that you didn’t know possible through our unique stage of business growth. And you will do it with a team who understands that the best version of you needs the flexibility and support to thrive both inside and outside of work.
This is a chance for someone to be part of our growing remote team, or join us in our Toronto (Canada) location.
Our Tech Stack
We deploy on AWS, and we build in Python and React. But that’s only part of the story. Bring your toolkit of expertise and help us make future choices to shape the technology environment and tools here.
Our new Principal Software Developer will:
- Build. You will build the core AI capabilities and wrappers that deliver an innovative, scalable and reliable product solution that our team is proud to declare ownership of. You will also play a role in contributing to the architecture and framework of our solution.
- Learn. You will apply deep computer science concepts daily and will work closely with all of our teams to better understand and deliver our AI capabilities.
- Lead. You will be a role model both technically and behaviourally for your colleagues. You will be a peer to the engineering managers and work directly with the CTO. You have mastered enough technology to tackle problems and new tools in a way that inspires confidence in others. You will learn and teach in a way that garners support, respect, and trust.
- Grow. You want to grow your career by developing amazing software products. You might be approaching the next level or stage in your career, and as we continue to expand, we want to take you there.
Our new Principal Software Developer has:
- The ability. You have acquired the requisite skills (through education or otherwise) to build and deploy great software products and you can demonstrate hands-on experience shipping products that are used on a large scale.
- The experience. You bring a minimum of 7-10 years of experience developing product software using an object-oriented language, which is in production with tens to hundreds of thousands of users. You combine this experience with a strong willingness to dive in to figure out the right approaches quickly, whether they be based on science or technology.
- The expertise. You think at a systems level and are well-versed in service-oriented architecture, message bus, AWS, Docker, and containerization frameworks.
- Resourcefulness and curiosity. You have existing skills that you are very proud of and a resourcefulness that leads you to build new skills that you will be proud of.
- The flexibility. You are quick to adapt when priorities shift and take feedback well. You are comfortable with ambiguity and are willing to figure things out when there’s no clear, defined path or process outlined.
What do you need to know about Chisel AI?
We are technology enthusiasts and experts pushing the limits on how AI will shape the future of insurance. Having successfully raised one of the largest seed rounds in Canadian history and with partners like Venrock, a leading Silicon Valley venture firm, by our side very little stands in the way of our success.
Chisel AI was named a Digital Disruptor to Watch in 2021 by NEXT Canada, named to the 2020 INSURTECH100 list of the world’s most innovative insurtech companies, won Gold at the 2019 Zurich Innovation World Championship and made the CIX Top 20 Early Companies list celebrating the most innovative technology companies in Canada.
Venture backed and well-funded, Chisel AI has been named as an "Analytics Arms Dealer" by Novarica, an IDC Innovator for Insurance Sales Automation Solutions, featured in CB Insights research on Insurtech Startups Modernizing the P&C Value Chain, and included in the recent Strategy Meets Action (SMA) report, “The Top 50 InsurTechs in P&C.”
Why join Chisel AI?
We’re a company with heavy traction, big clients, and a plan to expand rapidly. We’ve assembled a strong and diverse leadership team and are poised to scale and develop talented people of all levels. This is a place where failures turn into opportunities, where we learn from each other and where everyone’s voice is heard. We’re at a unique and rare stage of growth that will give our team and those who join us a chance to put their mark on everything we build.
What you can expect when you apply to Chisel AI
We know that diversity and belonging make for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. Chisel AI is committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment where employees feel valued and respected, and where every employee has the opportunity to realize their potential. We want to know what motivates you and we don’t believe that everyone follows the same career path. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team and encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodations, if required, and will work with you to meet your needs.
Due to COVID-19 please expect changes to our standard recruitment process. In all instances, the safety of our team and our candidates is of our utmost concern so we will be conducting interviews virtually and online. We will keep you informed on these changes and ensure that you are prepared in advance with the necessary instructions to conduct the next steps in the recruitment process.