Principal Software Developer
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Full Time
- Mid Level
Principal Software Developer
At Chisel AI, we are technology enthusiasts and experts pushing the limits on how AI will shape our future by teaching computers to read and extract complex document information. Using the latest advances in Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing, our advanced SaaS platform automates repetitive high-volume tasks that challenge a multi-billion industry. More importantly, our innovation creates time for people to do work they love by focussing on initiatives requiring experiential knowledge and judgment. This is a genuine opportunity to contribute to a team that makes AI technology accessible to mainstream companies on a global scale.
Right now, we're at a unique and rare stage of scale-up growth that will give our team and those who join us a chance to put their mark on everything we build. We have major traction, big clients, and a plan to expand rapidly. Our strong and diverse leadership team fosters an inclusive culture where: failures turn into opportunities, we learn from each other, people share what they have built, and we grow and develop an amazing company together. All without sacrificing who you are.
As part of our growing Engineering team, you will be a fundamental part of building our core AI capabilities in an innovative greenfield environment where you are not saddled with a legacy of product debt. As our new Principal Software Developer, you will use your many years of end to end product software development experience to tackle challenges that include building engineering pipelines which help our machine learning scientists build better models. You will be the key collaborator to the CTO and help him set the technical foundations for the service.
Our Tech Stack:
We deploy on AWS, and we build in Python and React. But that’s only part of the story. As a scaling young company, our toolkit evolves to meet demands and push boundaries. Your skills will grow in parallel, and your voice will be heard as you help us make future choices to shape the technology environment here.
What’s in it for you:
You will use modern web service, application logic and UX development that enable those models to deliver large scale value to our customers. You will own processes, make decisions, support your colleagues and develop your career in ways that you didn’t know possible through our unique stage of business growth. And you will do it with a team who understands that the best version of you needs the flexibility and support to thrive both inside and outside of work.
This is a chance for someone to be part of our growing remote team, or join us in our Toronto (Canada) location.
Our new Principal Software Developer will:
- Build. You will build the core AI capabilities and wrappers that deliver an innovative, scalable and reliable product solution that our team is proud to declare ownership of. You will also play a role in contributing to the architecture and framework of our solution.
- Learn. You will apply deep computer science concepts daily and will work closely with all of our teams to better understand and deliver our AI capabilities.
- Lead. You will be a role model both technically and behaviourally for your colleagues. You will be a peer to the engineering managers and work directly with the CTO. You have mastered enough technology to tackle problems and new tools in a way that inspires confidence in others. You will learn and teach in a way that garners support, respect, and trust.
- Grow. You want to grow your career by developing amazing software products. You might be approaching the next level or stage in your career, and as we continue to expand, we want to take you there.
So, how do we know you are the new Principal Software Developer? You have:
- The ability. You have acquired the requisite skills (through education or otherwise) to build and deploy great software products and you can demonstrate hands-on experience shipping products that are used on a large scale.
- The experience. You bring a minimum of 7-10 years of experience developing product software using an object-oriented language, which is in production with tens to hundreds of thousands of users. You combine this experience with a strong willingness to dive in to figure out the right approaches quickly, whether they be based in science or technology.
- The expertise. You think at a systems-level and are well-versed in service-oriented architecture, message bus, AWS, Docker, and containerization frameworks.
- Resourcefulness and curiosity. You have existing skills that you are very proud of and a resourcefulness that leads you to build new skills that you will be proud of.
- The flexibility. You are quick to adapt when priorities shift and take feedback well. You are comfortable with ambiguity and are willing to figure things out when there’s no clear, defined path or process outlined.
What can you expect when you work with Chisel AI?
We know that inclusiveness and belonging make for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. Every Chiseller (that's us!) is committed to creating and nurturing a welcoming, accessible, and growth-focused environment. To develop our team, each person here needs to feel valued and respected with opportunities to realize her/his/their potential, but not at the sacrifice of everything else.
This is us:
- Challenging Work. Bring your creative self. What we are doing has never been done before.
- Flexibility. Flexible work hours. Flexible work location. Office or home. Canada-wide. Choose what works best for you. It’s what you deliver that counts.
- Me Time. 4-weeks of vacation, with the expectation that you rest, enjoy your life, and experience true work-life balance. Flexible INT (“I need time”) Days because we all need time to take care of our everyday lives.
- Health & Wellbeing Support. Full family health benefits from Day 1 with a flexible Health Spending Account.
- Mental Health Support. Unlimited virtual mental health support and professional counselling. Enough said.
- Equity Ownership. Stock options that start vesting from Day 1. You have immediate stake in this growth.
- Visa Sponsorship. Bring what you know, from wherever you are.
What can you expect when you apply to Chisel AI?
We want to know what motivates YOU, and we don't believe that everyone follows the same career path. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to our team and encourage you to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for. Tell us your story, not just your experience and credentials.
Need accommodations? Just let us know. Chisel AI is committed to providing reasonable accommodations as required and will work with you to meet your needs.
COVID-19: The safety of our team, our candidates, and our community is of our utmost concern. We are conducting all interviews virtually and online. Should you meet with our team, you will receive a Candidate Guide to help you prepare and navigate through this to achieve a positive experience.